The same last name, you may be forgiven for becoming a little confused about who is who and what is what in a country where almost half the population share.
What’s going to you Discover?
you are going to gain a knowledge of the true wide range of key areas including:
- Religion and thinking
- Heritage & culture
- Personal etiquette and customs
- Business work and protocol tradition
Gain a professional Understanding
when you have check this out guide, make sure the popularity of one’s Southern Korea business enterprise by:
- Buying an in-depth South Korea Country Insight Report, authored by a nation professional and outlining country that is detailed tradition information.
- Getting involved in a two-hour webinar that is live customised to meet up with your specific requirements, with certainly one of our Southern Korea nation and tradition training experts or; contacting us in respect to your Southern Korea consultancy solutions.
Go with a area to skip to or scroll on.
Whether visiting Southern Korea on company, for tourism if not hosting Korean colleagues or customers in your own nation, this guide will allow you to realize your South Korean counterparts, improve communication and acquire the connection off to your right begin.
Nevertheless, keep in mind this might be just an extremely level that is basic to Korean tradition together with individuals; it could perhaps maybe maybe not account fully for the variety within South Korean culture and it is perhaps maybe perhaps not meant by any means to stereotype all Korean individuals you could satisfy!
INFORMATION AND STATISTICS
- Location: Eastern Asia, southern 1 / 2 of the Korean Peninsula bordering the East water and also the Yellow Sea
- Capital: Seoul
- Nationwide anthem:Aegukga
- Nationality: Korean
- Cultural Make-up: Homogenous (except for tiny portion for the populace who will be from elsewhere but have a home in the national country permanently). It really is one of the more racially pure nations in the planet.
- Population: 51 million (2019 Est.)
- Populace growth price: 0.53per cent (2019 Est.)
- Climate: temperate, with rain heavier in summer time than wintertime
- Time Zone: Korea Standard Time UTC (UTC+09:00)
- Currency: southвЂwon that is koreanвЂ™
- National: Republic
- Web penetration: 92.1% (2016)
- Business Heritage: Ranked 30th in the continuing business Heritage Complexity Indexв„ў
LANGUAGE IN SOUTHERN KOREA
Koreans share one language, with roughly seventy million individuals around the world talking Korean.
The language framework, sentence structure and language act like Japanese. Dialects are local; differing primarily in accent, but are therefore comparable that comprehension for speakers, or audience, is certainly not a problem. Key difference between dialect will also be related to status that is social.
Korea has among the greatest literacy prices on earth as a result of the phonetic nature for the written language that has been designed when you look at the mid-fifteenth century to provide one language to Koreans.
Songgwangsa Temple in Suncheon, Southern Korea
SOUTHERN KOREAN CUSTOMS & SOCIETY
Religion & Beliefs
- Southern Korea supports religious freedom
- Confucianism, Buddhism and Christianity would be the primary religions that are formal
- Numerous Koreans rely on the ancestral character and observe Confucian rituals
- Confucianism is a governmental and social philosophy that pervades culture that is korean
Major Celebrations/Secular Parties
- There’s two main nationwide holiday breaks
- New YearвЂ™s Day (second moon that is full cold weather solstice)
- Chuseok (the eighth moon that is full
- Parties for those festivals are based around ancestors, household, games, harvest festivals and meals.
- Your family product can be a part that is integral of and life in South Korea
- Arranged marriages are normal
- Wedding is undoubtedly a rite of passage
- Divorce had been unusual but is more prevalent in the past few years
- Patriarchal lineage is ubiquitous and links ancestors through the husbandвЂ™s line
- Typically, the son that is eldest inherited, but, it has recently changed and it is now equal for legal reasons
- The son that is eldest bears extra duty to their family members which is expected which he will take care of their moms and dads inside their senior years
- Considering that the Kabo Reforms of 1894 there is no gentry that is traditional
- 60% of Koreans considered themselves become class that is middle
- Course place is normally connected to attainment that is educational
- Industrialisation and urbanisation subscribe to course distinction
- Family, upbringing, wealth, training and career donate to social standing
- Symbols of status include; big houses, chauffeur driven automobiles, gown, account to specific groups, and greater degrees that are educational
- Urbanisation is 82.5% of total populace (2015)
- Language is hierarchical and something must address social superiors in a fitting way
- Equality of this sexes is constitutional
- Lifestyle is dominated by male guidance in just a society that is primarily patriarchal
- Social organization is impacted by age and gender
- 47.7% of adult females worked away from true home(1998)
- Ladies occupied 2.3% of provincial and seats that are local (1999)
- Ladies dominate Shamanism as priestesses but don’t have a lot of roles within Christian and Buddhist religions
- Ladies are anticipated to be submissive in public areas circumstances as well as casual gatherings
- Ladies are considered more separate than their male counterparts
- Regular care of infants is mainly moms and dad based for at the least the very first couple of years with small, or no, separation through the mom
- Patriarchal obedience, cooperation, respect for elders, and familial piety are imbued into very early childhood
- Gender certain roles are motivated in the household and training system
- Sons generally get the most readily useful training and remain more influenced by their loved ones, also into marriage
- Southern Korea changed from an underdeveloped nation, towards the 11th biggest economy globally, within one generation
- Southern Korea is greatly based mostly on exports for the GDP; nearly 1 / 2 of its company is exported through services or products
- 48% of most exports are electronic
- 31% of exports are transportation relevant (cars, boats, etc)
- Korean cuisine is founded on rice, veggies and meat
- вЂKimchiвЂ™ may be the nationwide meal and is consumed with many dishes
- Kimchi is made of a selection of veggies that are then fermented and certainly will be kept for very long intervals
- Banchan are negative meals вЂ“ they are usually built in vast quantities and so are served together with the dish that is main
- Food can be used in ceremonies, specially at weddings, birthdays also to honour ancestors